Thursday, May 5, 2011

Olivia's Tonsillectomy

After months and months of sickness, strep, choking, and breathing problems at night Olivia has finally gotten rid of her tonsils. It was a long time coming and was desperately needed. Olivia had surgery last year at this time having tubes put in her ears and her adenoids taken out and so I was familiar with the process. However no matter if you've gone through it before it still is hard and emotional to see your child in pain.
The night before she went in for surgery my mom was admitted to the hospital for heart problems due to an over amount of stress. I'm a very emotional person as it is but due to the two events happening within hours of each other put me over the top. Seeing Olivia after surgery was heart breaking and at the same time frustrating. She was so out of it and mad. She was yelling at us to put her down and wouldn't hold still. I don't like seeing her that way at all. After a little while they gave her morphine which calmed her down and put her to sleep. The first day home was really stressful and tiring. She wouldn't eat or drink anything and she was in so much pain. Luckily the next few days were alright and she did fairly well with fluids. On day four and five it was a nightmare. She was so whinny and clingy which isn't a big deal but since I have the baby to take care of also it was very exhausting. But we made it through the week and she was doing amazingly better by Thursday. I'm so glad that we had them take her tonsils out! She is already eating better and she is happier! She is talking up a storm and you can tell that her breathing is improved. I wish I could say she was sleeping better but unfortunately I haven't seen and improvements. So glad it is over with and we can enjoy a healthier, happier Olivia! She was such a brave little girl at the hospital. She didn't cry when they took her away in the red little wagon. She just looked at us and told us goodbye:) The pictures below are of her asleep under the desk where I happen to be working. She wouldn't lay in her bed so she decided to rest by my feet.





3 comments:

Ehlers Family said...

She looks so cute and grown up in those pictures. Im so glad everything is over with and she is feeling better. Now you can finally catch up on some sleep..maybe. :)

hoLLY said...

oh she is so sweet!! these pics break and melt my heart~ glad things went well!

Abigail Call Porter said...

oh she is so brave, and so are you! I'm glad she is doing better!